Acclaimed fiddler, banjoist and guitarist Sam Amidon’s albums have been graced by the likes of composer Nico Muhly, guitarist Bill Frisell, trumpeter Kenny Wheeler and his wife, vocalist Beth Orton. His latest Nonesuch release, The Following Mountain, was one of the most sonically compelling albums of 2017 and featured cameos from drummer Milford Graves and Jimi Hendrix percussionist Juma Sultan. Although all the songs were composed by Amidon, he took his inspiration, both lyrically and musically, from the Appalachian folk music that has been the focus of his previous albums. Folk Roots Magazine said, "The Following Mountain sees a further leap among Amidon's established continuum on which free jazz improvisations and traditional sensibilities cohabit, sometimes spare and simple, sometimes colliding with jarring urgency…Amidon shows that he isn't a restless or purposeless innovator. His music feels both conscious and free… It's a beauty."
Vancouver musicians Paul Rigby (guitar, pedal steel), Josh Zubot (violin) and Peggy Lee (cello) collaborate with Amidon for this concert, along with his long-time musical partner, Shahzad Ismaily on bass and percussion.
*$1.00 charge for online ticket sales
- Online tickets will close on Sunday Feb 24 at 2pm
- ALL ADVANCE TICKETS ARE WILL-CALL; Please bring a copy of your receipt and identification to claim your tickets at the box office
- No reserved seating
- Limited seating: WF reserves the right to give away seats if advance ticket holders are not present by 7pm on February 25
- Box office opens at 6:30pm for door sales and advance ticket pick-up
- Subject to availability, tickets will be available at the door for $20 general / $15 students & members. Check our website for updates on ticket availability.
- Students must bring valid student ID. WF Members must bring their membership card