October 19th, 8pm
Advance tickets: $15/10*
New New Music Curator Aram Bajakian’s first artist at the Luxe is a nod to DB Boyko’s 24 years of inspiring work with voice during her tenure as curator. New York Times critic, Ben Ratlif, called vocalist, multi-instrumentalist and composer Jen Shyu’s concerts "The most arresting performances I’ve seen over the past five years. It’s not just the meticulous preparation of the work and the range of its reference, but its flexibility: She seems open, instinctual, almost fearless." In her work, Shyu draws upon her years spent studying vocal practices in Korea, Japan and Taiwan, her decade with Steve Coleman’s groundbreaking ensembles, and her many collaborations with Nicole Mitchell, Anthony Braxton, Wadada Leo Smith, Vijay Iyer and others. For her Western Front and Vancouver debut, Shyu will present her work Nine Doors - inspired by the loss of her friend Sri Joko Raharjo “Cilik,” a master of Javanese shadow puppetry who died with his wife and infant son in an automobile accident at the age of 30. His 6-year-old daughter, who survived the crash, is the central character."
*$1.00 charge for online ticket sales
- Online tickets will close on Thursday, October 18th at 2pm
- ALL ADVANCE TICKETS ARE WILL-CALL; Please bring a copy of your receipt and identification to claim your tickets at the box office
- No reserved seating
- Limited seating: WF reserves the right to give away seats if advance ticket holders are not present by 8pm on October 19th
- Box office opens at 7:15pm for door sales and advance ticket pick-up
- Subject to availability, tickets will be available at the door for $20 general / $15 students & members. Check our website for updates on ticket availability.
- Students must bring valid student ID. WF Members must bring their membership card